Microsoft 365 Licensing has recently been updated which has caused confusion. However, longer term the new Microsoft 365 licensing model should be simpler and easier for people to understand.
About the Microsoft 365 Licensing & Recent Updates
This is the journey of how we got to the Microsoft 365 Licenses and the different plans and rebrands that have occurred.
- Office 365 – The Office 365 Business Essentials and Business Premium were the first set of licenses that enable Office 365 services including Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive, and Office installations.
- Enterprise Mobility & Security –Microsoft then released a set of enhanced security packages including Azure AD Premium, Conditional Access, InTune & Azure Information Protection. These are available as addons to Office 365 licenses.
- Microsoft 365 – This new license released in 2018 provided Office 365, Windows 10 Upgrades and Enterprise Mobility & Security features into a new bundle that was more cost effective than purchasing separately. This product also launched Microsoft 365 Business providing more security features at the business market (less than 300 users).
- Licensing Rebrand – Finally on April 21st 2020 the licenses were renamed to simplify the separate licenses within Office 365 and Microsoft 365. Microsoft said, 'This new approach to naming our products is designed to help you quickly find the plan you need and get back to your business'. The licenses have been renamed as follows:
- Office 365 Business Essentials became Microsoft 365 Business Basic.
- Office 365 Business Premium became Microsoft 365 Business Standard.
- Microsoft 365 Business became Microsoft 365 Business Premium.
- Office 365 Business and Office 365 ProPlus will both become Microsoft 365 Apps. Where necessary we will use the “for business” and “for enterprise” labels to distinguish between the two.
A lot of our clients get in touch struggling to understand exactly what each plan includes and how what the features do.
We are releasing a live link to a spreadsheet that will be updated when new features/changes come up which you can sign up for below:
Microsoft 365 Licensing Sheet Download
The licenses have been outlined below in a friendly table format:
Microsoft 365 Licensing Business Plans
|What's Included?||Description||Microsoft 365 Business Basic||Microsoft 365 Business Standard||Microsoft 365 Business Premium||Microsoft 365 Apps for Business|
|Cost||Per User / Per Month||£3.80||£9.40||£15.10||£7.90|
|Users||Maximum Number Licenses||300||300||300||300|
|SharePoint||Storage 1TB + 10GB Per User||✓||✓||✓||✘|
|OneDrive for Business||✓||✓||✓||✘|
|Azure AD – Conditional Access||✘||✘||P1||✘|
|Azure AD – SSO||✘||✘||P1||✘|
|Azure Information Protection||✘||✘||P1||✘|
|Windows 10 Upgrade||✘||✘||✓||✘|
|Office 365 ATP||✘||✘||P1||✘|
Microsoft 365 Licensing Enterprise Plans
|Whats Included?||Description||Microsoft 365 E3||Microsoft 365 E5||Microsoft 365 F3||Microsoft 365 F1|
|Cost||Per User / Per Month||£28.10||£48.10||£7.50||£3.02|
|Users||Maximum Number Licenses||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|OneDrive for Business||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Azure AD – Conditional Access||P1||✓||✓||✓|
|Azure AD – SSO||P1||✓||✓||✓|
|Azure Information Protection||P1||✓||✓||✓|
|Windows Virtual Desktop Rights||✓||✓||✓||✘|
|Windows 10 E3 & Upgrade||✓||✓||✓||✘|
|Office 365 ATP||✘||✓||✘||✘|
Relevant Materials & Videos
Our upcoming webinar explains the key security products available in Microsoft 365. Join here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/securing-microsoft-365-tickets-104987351996
Microsoft 365 Products Overview for Non Profits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNi09HqIE7w
Valto offer a free 45-minute overview of the licenses, what features are available and how to get the most out of the platform. Book a demonstration today with a Microsoft 365 Specialist you can call, email, contact us.
Microsoft recently held their annual tech and development conference at Orlando Florida and there are a lot of exciting changes coming to the Microsoft platforms. We’ve summarised a few of the key developments in our blog post and what we’re most excited about.
There are a huge number of features coming to the platform these range from functionality, branding and mobile improvements. A few of the upcoming changes can be found below.
- Branding – Improvements to the layout options including the ability to add a header, footer and mega menu.
- Personalised Web Parts – That will show information tailored to that user rather than generic information for the whole company.
- New Web Parts – Countdown Timer, Events Roll Up
- Improved Mobile Capabilities – Accessing Documents, News and Information from the SharePoint application
Microsoft’s fantastic OneDrive on Demand tool allowing for users to sync live copies of SharePoint Document libraries to their PC without consuming storage (effectively replacing file shares) is now available in Beta for the Mac platform. This has been one of the most requested features for Macs for Office 365 and will be a huge step forward for Microsoft and Macs.
Microsoft are investing heavily into their Microsoft Teams platform. Here at Valto we’re huge fans of Microsoft Teams and have been deploying this for many organisations and applying our best practices and governance. A few of the key announcements can be found below.
This fantastic feature will make remote and home working much easier and potentially less embarrassing! Microsoft have released a video demonstrating the capabilities of this below.
Teams & SharePoint Integration
Microsoft Teams and SharePoint are already integrated allowing for Teams to display SharePoint sites within the app and visa versa.
The new changes will bring much deeper integrations allowing for Lists, Libraries and Web Parts to be displayed within Microsoft Teams directly. More bots and connectors are being worked on to allow for News to automatically be displayed within Channels and Teams. More details from Microsoft on the SharePoint Blog.
Recording Meetings & Stream
Another brilliant feature we’ve been making extensive use of at Valto is the ability to record meetings and have the videos automatically sent to the attendees at the end of the meeting.
This will be extended further in the future to use Artificial Intelligence to automatically detect actions and create meeting minutes that can be used following the meetings.
Replacing Skype for Business
New tenants will no longer include Skype for Business and will be given Microsoft Teams by default. On top of that, new tools have been created to migrate existing tenants to a Teams Only environment.
Windows 10 Desktop in the Cloud
One of the most exciting announcements for Microsoft Azure and the Modern Workplace is the new capabilities of being able to launch a Windows 10 Desktop in the cloud. In other blog posts predicting the future of the Cloud and Microsoft we talked about the ability to use a mobile device to replace your PC with a dock and monitor. Having the ability to spin up a Windows 10 Desktop in the cloud brings this further to reality.
There are a lot of organisations out there that use thin clients and don’t have a requirements for running a desktop 24/7 this new functionality could potentially save enterprises a lot of money.
This is a big focus for Microsoft at the moment as gleamed from the Microsoft Inspire and Ignite Conferences. There is a huge focus on delivering AI that will improve the modern workplace. A lot of the current announcements are about building the platform for this including,
With Office 365 you always get the latest version of Office features as they are rolled out. Microsoft have released the latest on-premise version of Office to the general public which contains a lot of the improvements of the Office 365 version.
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria